Greetings O’ Wonderful GNHCC Singers!
Happy Halloween to you all! I am sorry that this message is long, but all the content is very important (please take the time to read).
Great rehearsal last night! I think it was important for us to get a sense of the whole Requiem and see where our trouble spots are. For me, the following areas stuck-out;
- Vanitas Vanitatum (middle section and end)
- Sanctus (middle section and end)
- Lux Aeterna (middle section and end)
- TEXT and General Pronunciation….
These are all areas that we have worked on before, however the transitions threw us for a loop. Please take some time to focus on these three movements.
A few general reminders;
- Choral triangle - - in order of sound “presence” = Basses, Tenors, Altos, Sopranos
- Tenors and Basses - - bright forward sounds
- Altos - - warmth and rich color: lots of back space - make yourself yawn. Keep your lips forward at all costs!
- Sopranos - - 25% less volume throughout, but still lots of great support and moving breath! Be accurate in your entrances and cut-offs
For our next rehearsal:
- Sopranos and altos, please spend some good time with the practice tracks - - on the English section only!! Good focused time will help you to get a sense of this section.
- Let’s get through the middle English section (notes and rhythms) and then sing through the piece.
- We really need to start adding text, but we need to be able to get through the piece musically, first. Pronunciation tracks to be posted to SING this weekend!
- Keep up the good work to edge the tempo forward… I hear that this is coming along. I plan to pop in to your sectional on Thursday!
- Text; as I mentioned that night, Jess and I have talk about the text and pronunciation. I have made some very conscious choices about the pronunciation, albeit not perfect French. I am trying really hard to keep you from the nasal qualities of the language.
Requiem for the Living
As mentioned before, this is perhaps THE MOST IMPORTANT REHEARSAL you can attend! Please do everything you can to be there!
Each season GNHCC performs a small somewhat informal performance prior to our regular concert. This gives us an opportunity to “try out” some of our literature and also raise awareness for our upcoming concert.
This year’s preconcert details are:
This concert will be a joint event with Mark Sullivan’s church choir (Christ Church), GNHCC and the chamber choir. Goodwill donations will benefit the Wounded Warrior Project and the Episcopal Relief and Development fund.
We will sing:
- Introit / Kyrie from Requiem for the Living
- World of our Dreams
- Dona Nobis Pacem, Bach
The Chamber choir will sing:
- O Nata Lux (with Mark’s Choir)
- Earth Song
- Maria Walks Amid the Thorn (with Mark’s Choir)
There will also be a performance by Mark’s Choir and perhaps a little extra solo activity!
Please mark it on your calendar and encourage your friends and family to attend. The space is gorgeous and the festivities are a blast!
Some other things to keep an eye on:
- Thanksgiving Week Rehearsal is on Tuesday night – November 25, 2014
- Carol Sing-Along; Wednesday, December 3, 2014 (more details to come)
- PreConcert – Friday, December 5, 2014
- Dress Rehearsal – Tuesday, December 9, 2014 (more details to come)
- Concert – Saturday, December 13, 2014 (more details to come)
Looking forward to our time together next Thursday!